Pages

Saturday 13 October 2012

Fundraising

Last night I attended a fabulous fundraising function at the German Harmonie Club in aid of ovarian cancer research. It was a dance party called 'Rock Your Frock' as October is now known as 'Frocktober' in aid of this good cause, and the fundraisers wear frocks and are sponsored for doing so. Most fundraisers also have some sort of function to boost the funds they raise.

Everyone coming to the dance party last night was encouraged to wear a frock and there were some wonderful outfits - beads, sparkles, glamour personified. And the blokes! Stunning is all I can say. Dapper with waistcoats and ties to match their partner's colour scheme, suits, hats, nifty dance shoes, but my favourites were the men in frocks. I loved the chap with a beard who wore a wig and had bright red lippy to go with his frock. Someone else wore a tutu but the crowd favourite was a bloke in a tight orange number with a black satin corset, high heels, long black gloves and a long blond wig.

As I was enjoying the atmosphere last night I reflected on the many years I have been associated with fundraising. My father met another German man, Mr Blume, in the printing firm where he first worked in Australia. The Blumes invited him over for the occasional meal whilst my mother and I were back in Germany. They became good friends and Tante (aunty) Blume became a great support to my mother when she arrived here. My parents then met more German people and started going to the German Lutheran church in Sydney.

A lot of German migrants arrived in Australia with little more than the clothes on their backs so the Australian German Welfare Society was formed to give support to those people. My mother became active within that group and there was considerable fundraising, mainly, if I remember correctly, through dances and cake stalls and the biggie of the year, the Christmas bazaar. Over the years my mother must have baked hundreds and hundreds of cakes. As soon as I was old enough I used to help sell the goodies.

We also had raffles at these various functions and I would be in my dirndl (national costume) selling tombola tickets.

As the years passed I was involved in other fundraising ventures, still many to do with the German community whilst I was living in Sydney, but when I came to Canberra and was teaching here my fundraising usually involved raising money for the school I was at. Like my mother I have turned my hand to cooking. I have made lots of cakes but my speciality has mainly been in the sweets line. I have made countless toffees and make a pretty mean Italian nougat.

There have also been other occasions for fundraising such as 'Jump Rope for Heart' and collecting money for various other charities that I have been associated with at the time.

The function last night was organised and run by my elder daughter. My younger daughter and I did our bit by sitting on the door collecting entrance fees and selling raffle tickets. I had the pleasure of counting the takings this morning!

Fundraising continues in our family. I am extremely proud of my girls for their willingness to help others.

Well done for last night. It is a truly worthy cause and was a great fun-filled evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment